I was thinking about the top most transcendent experiences in my India/Nepal/Bhutan trip. Not the most fun ones- those would be the times I met up with my friends- but the most out-of-the-ordinary and memorable ones. They are something like this:
- Surviving the Manali-Leh Highway
- Sleeping at the Golden Temple
- Not quite dying of hypothermia in Gangotri
- Finishing the 10-day meditation retreat
- Mountain biking in Nepal
- Riding a camel in Jaisalmer
And I realized, these all have two things in common: a little lurch in my stomach and a sense of "yes! let's do an adventure!" Not a big lurch- these are all things that are not at all dangerous. But they each took me a bit out of my comfort zone.
I feel the same way about biking through Europe, and I feel the same way about visiting Iran.